- John Chandler at Cardiff University provides immunogold reagents to the marketplace.
- Biocell Research Laboratories created in Cardiff.
- Established as leader in the electron microscopy research field.
- Distributors established in 15 countries worldwide.
- Identified strong market potential with secret recipe formula for superior quality gold colloid manufacture.
- Strategic move into the £23 billion global in-vitro diagnostics market.
- Biocell Research Laboratories relaunches as British Biocell International, (BBInternational in the US).
- BBI builds on its in-house expertise and launches a unique ‘full service’ for rapid test development.
- Experienced international sales and marketing operation in place.
- Off-the-shelf product range increased.
- 90% of sales exported to some of the world’s largest diagnostics companies.
- Management buy-out led by Managing Director Julian Baines.
- Stakeholders include 6 Heads of Department tasked with growing divisions of Sales & Marketing, Gold Reagents, Research & Development, and Manufacturing Operations.
- Completion of first major development projects for Merck, featuring five lateral flow tests for food borne pathogens: E-coli, campylobacter, listeria, salmonella, verotoxin.
- First major manufacturing contract secured for these projects.
- 28 April 2004 – Flotation of BBI Holdings onto the London Alternative Investment Market.
- Cash raised used to repay Venture Capitalists. All immediately reinvested.
- Quality products and services make BBI a cash generative business, taking advantage of profitable growth opportunities and adding value for shareholders.
- BBI signs a unique agreement with Inverness Medical Innovations (now Alere), enabling us to offer manufacturing customers patent protection on selected non-competing lateral flow patents owned by IMI.
- BBI Research launched in Madison, Wisconsin, bringing BBI’s extensive R&D resource closer to US-based customers.
- Our leading 40% dextrose gel is rebranded as GlucoGel focusing on growing UK and International sales and introducing other novel fast acting glucose products such as GlucoTabs and GlucoJuice
- April 2006 – BBI Holdings acquires Alchemy Laboratories and re-launches as BBI Dundee.
- March 2007 – BBI Holdings purchases point of care D-dimer assays from AGEN Biomedical.
- May 2007 – BBI Holdings acquires Theratase plc, incorporating the Biozyme and Seravac enzyme divisions, and re-launches as BBI Enzymes.
- February – BBI Holdings is acquired by Inverness Medical Innovations (now Alere).
- Lyn Rees is appointed Group CEO
- Former Group CEO, Julian Baines becomes non-executive director of BBI.
- New state of the art 10,000 sq ft manufacturing facility opened at BBI Dundee.
- BBI Detection is launched under Managing Director Richard Lamotte (formerly Managing Director of BBI Dundee and owner of Alchemy Laboratories).
- BBI Detection incorporates sites in Madison, Wisconsin; Dundee, Scotland; and Porton Down, Salisbury, UK.
- Fiona Marshall, formerly General Manager of BBI’s Dundee facility, is appointed Managing Director of BBInternational.
- BBI Detection launches the Integrated Multiplex Assay and Sampling System (IMASS™ device) to solve the problem of sampling and identification of biothreats in ‘white powder’ incidents.
- BBI Healthcare acquires the manufacturer of its flagship product Balance Activ, Kullgren Pharma, based in Sweden and commences a £1m marketing campaign for the product.
- BBI Healthcare acquires 4 new products for its women’s health portfolio.
- Penny McCormick is appointed Managing Director of BBI Healthcare
- Vision Biotech is brought into the BBI portfolio.
- BBI enters a joint venture with Albagaia to launch the Novarum Reader™, the first mobile reader to market which uses smartphone based software to read any lateral flow test.
- Fiona Marshall is appointed Managing Director of BBI Enzymes, Scipac, and Vision Biotech
- The divisions of BBInternational, BBI Enzymes, Scipac, and Vision Biotech are brought together as one company: BBI Solutions
- The Group is officially renamed ‘The BBI Group’ from May 1st 2013, and comprises 3 organisations: BBI Solutions, BBI Detection, and BBI Healthcare.